Friday, April 25, 2008

Things I've Learned on Bed Rest

(Latest update...no change! Still hanging in there.)

I'm not a bed rest kind of gal. I'm your typical Type A, and lemme tell you, Type A plus a baby on the way and not being able to do everything I'd like to get ready for that is a bad combo. But clearly there is no choice in the matter and I have to do this to try and keep her safe and sound, so that's what I'm doing. I'm lucky that I'm not on strict bed rest as in I can get up and move around some, take care of some things around the house here and there - as long as I spend the majority of the time laying down or reclining, and make sure I stay down if I start cramping and having contractions.

I have never not worked for a long period of time, and I've worked since I was 13 years old. I think the longest stretch was when I started college in a new city and it took a couple months to get a job...but at least I was in school full time. This is a huge adjustment for me. But I have learned a few things:
  • We do not have the same mailman every day.
  • The free local newspaper is only being delivered to people who pay for the other local newspaper, the free paper's competition. Since we don't pay for the other one, now we don't get the free one. And the guy delivering the free paper drives a Lexus.
  • Roosters are stupid and will crow at any time during the day.
  • Daytime television consists almost entirely of soap operas and shows about babies.
  • Too much television will indeed rot your brain. Since being on bed rest, I am unable to answer hardly any questions on Jeopardy. Frankly, I don't even understand some of the questions these days.
  • My depression over both Rock of Love 2 and Real Housewives of New York City ending is abnormal and should be concerning to those around me.
  • My anxiety over Big Brother ending this week is also concerning.
  • My teenage neighbor and her friend seem to cut class every single day, and they play music really loud and it irritates me.
  • I think Kelly Ripa and I would get along great and have a lot of fun together.
  • I've developed a hatred for Elizabeth (the blond) on the View.
  • I'm suffocating my cat with attention because we don't have anything else to do.
  • My cat seems jealous of the laptop and I'm concerned about how it's going to affect us.
  • As appealing as it has sounded in the past (especially when my alarm goes off), I don't think I could just not work. I need some kind of mental stimulation outside the home.

6 comments:

nickoletta100 said...

Sounds like you are incredibly bored!! I am so sorry, I hope time flies for you!

sara said...

I hope the time starts flying by and the little one arrives safe and sound in no time (just not too early :-) If it makes you feel better, I'm a bit sad about Big Br.other ending this week as well. I guess we'll both have to find some new things to watch. I'll check back soon and I hope you have a nice weekend!

Ariella said...

How about a book. Reading for just an hour a day is better than the TV and will really help stimulate your brain. And you could even read some parenting books, you won't have time for those when the baby comes.

Alison said...

Super cute "lessons learned" Katie! My lesson... Katie blogs more!! And I love it! --Alison

Julie said...

From one bed resting Type A personality to another - I feel your pain! And, I share your hatred of Elizebeth as well as your affinity for Kelly. It really is amazing what we learn about our neighbors and others when we're confined to the house, isn't it!? Best wishes to you!

Cindy said...

I just stumbled upon your blog. I have recently been put on bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy, eight more weeks. I know this is a sneeze in the bucket compared to what you and many of your bloggers are currently "serving," but very disappointing to get this far and have a snag in so close to the end. Being a Type A Girl myself, I just wanted you to know that your comments did brighten my day a bit and put things into perspective in that the end is near and soon that baby will be here and really turn our world upside down! Look forward to reading your entries to get me through the next few weeks! This will all get easier, right???