Sunday, November 25, 2007

Why is my RE so big on urine??


I'm just curious. Why does my RE seem so incredibly partial to meds derived from urine? I know there are laboratory created versions of these drugs so I don't understand her preference for the ones she prescribed me.

Are you a confused fertile? There, there, I'll fill you in. There are several different drugs prescribed for an IVF protocol. Some are older, some are newer...and the newer ones are mainly created in laboratories. They are the man-made version of the older drugs. The older drugs, a couple of them, are made from urine. Yes, I'm serious. Urine. Oh, it gets better.
Repronex, one of my drugs, is made from the urine of post menopausal nuns. You heard me. Post-menopausal nuns! The post menopausal part has a good explanation - post menopausal women secrete higher quantities of the particular hormone needed for this drug. I don't understand the nun part, though, as in why their urine is specially used for this drug. Maybe because it's a place where a large group of post menopausal women hang out together - easier to get 'em all at once. Then again, they could go to any Curves gym in the country and end up with the same demographic.

Anyhow, there is another drug that works just like Repronex, called Menopur, except Menopur is not made from urine. And I want to know why I got the urine prescription.

So this was bothering me. Then I realized my trigger shot (Pregnyl) is also the older urine method. Except this time it's the urine of pregnant women. So obviously, not nuns. But the same thing - urine. And again, there is an alternative, newer drug that is not made from urine that would serve the same purpose. But I got the pee.

As if I don't have enough to think about.

No comments: